Over the last few years I’ve read a lot about regular beauty products vs. natural beauty products, and I have to say, it’s a little freaky. A countless number of chemicals and ingredients that are illegal to use in beauty products in other countries are not monitored in the US, they are used in lotions, face soaps, foundations, etc. In Europe there are about 1,400 ingredients banned, and in the USA there are only 30 banned. Yikes.
I’ll be the first to admit that I eat a stupid amount of cheap white bread and Velveeta mac and cheese, so my decision to “go clean” is not all across the board. Ha! That said, swapping beauty products and skin care items for a more natural option has been a pain-free switch, so it’s a no-brainer!
The first step for me was downloading the EWG Healthy Living App which rates products on a scale of 1-10 (1 being ideal, 10 being the worst) based on allergy concerns, cancer concerns, and developmental concerns. I’ve since started using the Think Dirty App, and it has many product reviews and also offers great suggestions on new products. When I shop I scan things to help me decide what is the best option. Almost all of my makeup and skincare products were above an 8, over the last year or so I have slowly switched over most of my skin care products. Rather than buying all new things at once, I’ve just replaced items with a natural option as I’ve run out of them.
While my makeup collection still has a long way to go, today I’m rounding up my favorite natural skin care products by brand.
I love this company! They are actively working to change regulations in the USA, while selling awesome products! I have blogged about their products before but here are a few of my favorites
- Hydrate Everyday Body Lotion – smells like oranges! So good!
- Nourishing Eye Cream – I use this before bed (when I remember!)
- Nourishing Day Cream – everyday moisturizer
- Nourishing Cream Cleanser – So far, my favorite natural face wash
This is a local brand, but you can purchase their products online!
- Daily Moisturizing Oil – thicker than the Beauty Counter moisturizer, but by far my favorite! Perfect for overnight! (I am out of this right now and missing it big time!)
- Rose Water Toner – quick spritz after washing my face!
- After Glow – a deep cleansing charcoal mask. I don’t use this super often, but when I do I love it!
- I am currently using a Nourish Organic face Cleanser and it does the trick, but isn’t as great as the Beauty Counter cleanser. That said, it is much more affordable and available at Target, so it’s a great option!
- I love me some coconut oil, I use it to remove my makeup!
- I love this makeup erasing washcloth for removing my makeup with just hot water! Seems expensive but it’s worth every penny, especially when you can get it on sale!
That is all for today folks! I will post more about this as I continue to try new products and find more options, but I hope this was helpful! I think swapping products is one of the easiest ways we can control what chemicals we let into our bodies!
Do you use any natural skin care products? What are your favorite? Comment and tell me!