In Michigan, there is always that one weekend that makes you think spring is here. It comes sometime mid-February or early March when the south is entering warm weather season and Target is releasing their spring clothes. In the midst of snow, wind and ice…BAM, Michigan throws 40, 50, or in this case, 60-degree weather at you. And just like that, it feels like spring! If you are a Michigan newbie, don’t be fooled, spring is not yet actually here. It is very much still winter! I like to think of this as God’s little reminder for us that spring will indeed come. It is always right in the middle of the same week that everyone (at least in my house) starts talking about moving somewhere warm.
One of my very favorite things is waking up to birds chirping outside my window. That happened this week. 🙂 Our first wedding of the year, which we planned on shooting in snow, was shot in heavenly, 60-degree, weather. It was wonderful. There is something so encouraging to me about spring. It feels fresh, new, and exciting. And, while the snow will be back this weekend, this sneak peek at spring made me realize that it doesn’t have to be warm outside to feel like spring in our lives. It got me brainstorming a few simple ways to remind ourselves that each day can be a fresh start! So if you are in the Midwest and feeling the winter blues, here are a few of my favorite ways to snap out of the blues and back into joyful living…no matter what the weather.
Put some pep in your step!
- If your Christmas decor is still up, take it down. #guilty
- Pick up some fresh flowers to brighten up your space
- Do a “mini- deep clean”. Once it is actually spring,I will do a real deep clean, but for now, I chose to clean out the drawers in my office. They are always stuffed full and drive me crazy. Tackling one area that I could finish in an afternoon made all the difference!
- Light a candle of a fresh, clean scent! I have been diffusing tangerine essential oil in my office. It is making me so happy!
- Paint your nails a bright and cheery color
- Set your heart on truth. I’m dwelling on this passage today and boy did I need the reminder! Thanks BSF girlies for pointing me to this verse!
- “But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to His own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior so that being justified by His grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.” Titus 3:4-7
Wishing you a happy fake spring!